Designed for people who want to take advantage of potential gains in the stock market while still having some level of protection against losses.
How It Works
With an Index Annuity, the interest you receive is linked, in part, to the performance of a market index, such as the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index. When the index increases, you’ll receive interest – based on what’s specified in your annuity contract. If the index declines, you won’t receive interest, but the principal of your annuity will not be affected.
- • The potential to grow is based in part on the performance of a market index.
- • Protection from market downturns since the value of the annuity is not affected by negative index returns. You are not directly invested in any security or index.
- • You may not have to pay taxes on any interest earned until the money is withdrawn.
- • A choice of payment options, including protected lifetime income for as long as you live.
- • Income can begin immediately or be deferred to a later date.
- • Standard or enhanced death benefit features are available.
- • There may be charges and a tax penalty for early withdrawals.
- • In a down market, your annuity may not earn interest.